THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
These keto diet tips and tricks are going to help you guys lose weight and keep to your ketogenic diet. This post isn’t going to dive into what keto is, but give you guys some helpful tips and tricks to be successful.
So on to some easy tips that’ll help you guys feel great and lose some pounds! As a quick disclaimer you might want to check with your doctor before starting any type of diet, especially if you have any health conditions.
Tip #1 Always meal prep for the week.
You can do this a lot of ways, but I like using Pinterest to find yummy keto recipes.
Be sure to follow my Keto Recipes Board on Pinterest to get some new ideas!
Pick one day a week to sit down and plan out all your meals for the week and be realistic about the time you have to make your meals. If you only have twenty minutes to prep a meal, don’t pick an overambitious and complicated recipe, go with something easy.
Tip #2 Don’t forget to eat your greens, this diet is not just all about the bacon.
So for many (me included) one great thing about this diet is you can eat yummy high fat meats like bacon, burgers, etc. that’ll help keep you full longer. It is easy to load up on these types of foods and forget about the veggies. If you are doing this, you are going about the keto lifestyle all wrong and robbing your body of some vital nutrients.
Sneak veggies in whenever possible and make it your goal to have a serving with every meal.
Here are some easy ways to get your greens in:
- Try veggie noodles. You can opt for store bought or invest in a spiralizer and make your own. Spaghetti squash also gives you a sense of easting pasta while getting some veggies.
- Sneak it in casseroles. I love veggies, but if you are someone who doesn’t, casseroles are a great place to add veggies because they usually get overpowered with all the meat and cheese any way. Mushrooms, cooked spinach and zucchini are great to add to casseroles and you might find you love the taste!
- Soups are also agreat way to get some extra vegetables.
- Try a green smoothie with a majority of veggies and add some lower carb fruits to the mix.
Tip #3 Don’t underestimate starting your day with a power breakfast.
So I’m not going to go on and on about the importance of eating breakfast (your parents probably nagged you about this enough growing up lol), but starting your day off with a big breakfast is going give you a weight loss boost. If you eat a hearty breakfast, you will feel fuller throughout the day and will be less likely to overeat or binge on bad food.
Let me share with you guys my favorite keto power breakfast I make.
Everyday I start the day with bacon, eggs, mushrooms and spinach (notice how I snuck in some greens). It may sound basic, but the way I make is so satisfying and delicious. You can make so many variations of this and use your favorite veggies, but this is my favorite. The key to this breakfast is cooking the eggs and veggies in the bacon fat. Here is a step by step for this power breakfast:
- Cook your bacon in a skillet on the stove. When your bacon is done about halfway, add your mushrooms to the pan. When I’m short on time, I don’t even chop the mushrooms, I just break them apart with my hand.
- Transfer your bacon to a bowl and add spinach to the skillet. Now you just have mushrooms and spinach cooking in the bacon fat.
- While the mushrooms and spinach are cooking, I like to shred or cut my bacon up. Then transfer your mushrooms and spinach to your bowl.
- Now it’s time to make your eggs. For this dish I love making my eggs sunny side up or over easy because the runny yolk and bacon fat coat your entire dish and it is amazing. You can make your eggs however you like, scrambling them is good as well.
- Finally, you are going add your eggs to your shredded bacon, mushrooms and spinach. I like to cut my eggs up and mix everything together. It is not the prettiest dish, but it is so tasty and I guarantee it will keep you full until your next meal.
Tip #4 You can still have a tasty coffee drink at Starbuck’s, you just have to make it keto friendly!
Of course plain coffee with cream is just fine, but I thought when I started keto I couldn’t have any of Starbucks tastier options. Luckily this is not the case!
This post from Nutrient Hero gives you tons of Starbuck’s drinks you can order that fit into the keto diet and lists drinks you should try to avoid.
Tip #5 Missing some of those high carb foods? Just make some easy swaps!
For example, you can opt to make pizza with a cauliflower crust, make breads and desserts with almond or coconut flour, and make a lettuce wrap instead of using bread. You might want to check this article out from Essential Keto for even more low carb swap ideas.
Tip #6 Drink a crap load of water!
Drinking a lot of water is going to keep you full between meals as well as flush bad toxins out of your system. If you don’t like the taste of plain water, make infused water. I love infusing my water with mint, lemon, cucumbers, or strawberries. There are tons of ideas on Pinterest, just search “detox water” or “infused water”.
How much water do you need a day?
Advice really varies on this and you may have heard eight glasses a day is plenty. While this is a great jumping off point, according to WebMD, you should aim to drink half an ounce to an ounce per pound of body weight you have. For example if you weight 140 pounds, you should be drinking anywhere between 70-140 ounces of water per day.
Tip #7 If you’re craving a crunchy snack like potato chips, munch on some pork rinds.
Pork rinds give you the same crunch as a potato chip, but are low in carbs. Just make sure you look at the ingredients list, certain flavors like barbecue have added sugar.
Tip #8 Drink green tea or coffee.
Drinking coffee or tea is going to help suppress your appetite and in the long wrong will help you to eat less. Be careful not to overload on caffeine though, you don’t want to get shaky or dizzy.
Tip #9 Don’t forget to grab some snacks!
Snacking stabilizes your blood sugar throughout the day and helps you from overdoing it during meals.
If you’re short on keto snack ideas, you should check out 20 Keto Snacks That’ll Help You Lose Weight
Tip #10 Pair a workout routine with your keto diet for optimal results.
The keto diet is great because you are really loading up on protein, which is quite beneficial for fueling your workouts. Another perk of working out is sweating and burning extra calories is going make you feel better as well.
If you already have been working out, kudos to you! Don’t stop pushing yourself and challenging yourself each day. For beginners, start out slow, even just walking is beneficial to your health and will help you on your weight loss journey.
Bonus Idea: Find a program that works for you!
When first starting keto, I was a little overwhelmed because the diet varies so much based on who you are talking to or which website you’re looking at.
When adapting a new way of eating (don’t you hate the word diet), I always like to have guidelines or a clear cut eating plan. Do you feel the same?
What I found helpful was the Fat Fueled Keto Program Ebook. It is an extensive keto program that gives you a 30 day meal plan and over 60 recipes!
It contains EVERYTHING you need to feel great and turn your body into a fat burning machine!
What I loved about this program is it isn’t a one size fits all approach. You’ll get a plan based on your fat fueled profile that will be the best for your body.
This program is so extensive, I saved money not having to buy separate resources. This is what the program includes:
- In-depth Guidebook: 16 chapters going in depth about your fat fueled profile.
- An entire chapter just on healing your body.
- 30 Day Meal Plan: This plan is seriously awesome!
- Cookbook with over 60 yummy recipes!
- Keto tips that I haven’t read anywhere else!
- Support from the Fat Fueled Facebook group. This is an awesome keto support system that has thousands of members.
Anyway, this is just a program I’ve found super helpful and thought you might as well. You can check the program out here.
Let me know how these tips worked out for you guys or share your favorite keto tips below!