Taco Tuesday just got a healthy makeover with these sweet potato and black bean tacos.
Ready in just 25 minutes, sweet potato tacos are perfect for when you want an amazing dinner but are short on time.Jump to Recipe
Sweet Potato Taco Recipe Ingredients
These sweet potato tacos are made with simple ingredients you may already have in your kitchen.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these yummy tacos:
- Sweet potatoes
- Corn tortillas
- Canned black beans
- Canned corn
- Red 0nion
- Taco seasoning
- Avocado oil or oil of your choice suitable for high heat
If you’re not a fan of canned beans or corn, you can always opt for fresh but just know this will increase your prep time.
Healthy Sweet Potato Tacos
These are a healthier choice than regular tacos because they contain wholesome ingredients and are not fried.
Not only are they healthy, but they’re also dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free.
If you’re eating gluten-free, make sure you buy a taco seasoning packet that is gluten-free.
You can also use my recipe listed in the recipe notes below to make your own seasoning.
Easy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans (15 oz.)
- 1 avocado
- 1 can corn (15 oz.)
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp taco seasoning mix (or to make it homemade, see notes below)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or high-heat oil of your choice
- 6-12 corn tortillas (if you want to double the tortillas use 12, if not just use 6)
- Skin and chop sweet potatoes. Spread them out on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes and sprinkle with taco seasoning and drizzle with oil.Toss everything together to evenly coat the sweet potatoes.
- Microwave the sweet potatoes on high for another 3 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Be careful not to microwave them too long because they will become mushy. I chopped mine quite small and found that 6 minutes fully cooked them.
- Warm up canned beans and corn on the stovetop.
- While you're waiting for the canned beans and corn to warm up on the stove, chop red onion, avocado, cilantro, and lime. Set aside.
- (optional) To warm and char your corn tortilla, place a tortilla on the pan and cook on medium heat. Cook each side for about 40 seconds or until it looks a little charred to your liking (you'll see some toasted brown spots).
Assembling Sweet Potatoe Tacos
- You can either double the corn tortillas or just use one tortilla per taco.Having two tortillas per taco helps to hold all the filling and prevents the taco from falling apart.
- Lay the corn tortillas down and layer with sweet potatoes, black beans, and corn.
- Fold the taco and top with avocado, red onion, and cilantro. Garnish with a squirt of fresh lime.
More Healthy Recipes:
- 100+ Healthy Low Carb Snack Recipes
- 30 Crazy Easy Freezer Meals
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken (Low Carb + Delicious)
About the Author
Annie Brown is a frugal living expert and the founder of Savvy Honey.
Her expert advice has also been featured in Yahoo Finance, BuzzFeed, GOBankingRates, Woman's Day, MSN, The Spruce Crafts, and more.