Not your average crack chicken, this one boasts extra bacon and cheese, plus a secret ingredient! This creamy keto crack chicken crock pot recipe is so decadent, you’ll love every bacon-filled bite!
Crack chicken is my all-time favorite keto diet recipe.
By the way, if you want even more easy keto recipes, you should check out this digital keto cookbook bundle. It has 120 recipes that are only 5 net carbs.)
If you’re looking for an easy keto dinner that not only you will love, but those not on a keto diet will as well, this is your middle ground dinner that’ll please everyone.
It really lives up to its name of being highly addictive and will be sure to become a family dinner favorite.
What is keto crack chicken?
Crack chicken is a popular recipe typically consisting of tender shredded chicken, bacon, cream cheese, chopped green onions, ranch seasoning, and cheddar cheese.
Sometimes additional ingredients are added, but the ingredients mentioned above typically make up the foundation for the recipe.
You can understand why people dubb crack chicken highly addictive just by looking at the ingredients.
It’s super creamy and out of this world amazing making it very hard not to keep eating.
Not only that, but most crack chicken recipes are already naturally keto-friendly already as long as you don’t serve it over carby sides like pasta.
(Being a former pasta addict, this dish is so heavy I really couldn’t imagine serving it over traditional pasta anyhow.)
But wait, if all crack chicken recipes are similar, why try this one?
Well, the quantities of the ingredients and the addition of a special ingredient make this keto crack chicken unlike any other you will ever try.
Let’s look at the ingredients a little closer so you can see what sets this recipe apart from the sea of other crack chicken recipes out there.
Keto Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Ingredients
As already mentioned, crack chicken recipes have the same basic ingredients, it’s just the quantity of the ingredients that vary a little and the addition of some extra ingredients as well.
Here’s where this recipe is different though…
It’s loaded (and I mean really loaded) with bacon!
I’m talking most recipes use about 8 slices of bacon, this one uses 1-2 packages (depending on your bacon preference).
More on that later though…
Now you may be wondering about the secret ingredient I mentioned earlier, it’s a keto fan-favorite…
Heavy whipping cream.
This makes this keto crack chicken slow cooker recipe even creamier than normal!
(In typical crack chicken recipes it’s pretty rare to add cream.)
While many recipes use chicken breast, this one uses chicken thighs making it even more flavorful.
The last difference is this recipe boasts even more cheese than a lot of others because why not?
Keep in mind though if you don’t want that much bacon or cheese, you can always put less.
But for you extreme bacon cheddar ranch lovers out there, I think you’ll love how much of everything there is!
Let’s get a little more in-depth with the ingredients.
Here’s a list of all the ingredients in this keto crack chicken recipe:
- Chicken Thighs
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions
- Ranch Salad Dressing Seasoning Packet (or ranch dip seasoning packet)
So I’m not going to go over every ingredient individually but there are a few that need some further explanation that I’ve mentioned below.
Loaded With Bacon
Well, let’s just say I really took into account that this is crack chicken for a keto diet, not just a regular crack chicken recipe.
Keeping keto dieters in mind, this recipe contains way more bacon than any other recipe I’ve seen and more fat as well.
Really my goal of this keto crack chicken was to have it be loaded with bacon, way more than any others.
With two packs of bacon (again most recipes call for 8 strips or less), I can definitely say that sometimes it is okay to be a little extra.
(As long as you’re being extra with your bacon lol!)
So if you love, love, love bacon like many people on a keto diet, I guarantee this will be one of your favorite keto slow cooker recipes you’ve ever made.
With that being said, either to cut costs or simply the fact that you don’t want to eat that much bacon, just decrease the amount of bacon in the recipe.
Instead of two packs of bacon, you could use one pack or even eight slices, it will still turn out very delicious no matter how much bacon you use.
Also worth noting, I used regular slices of bacon. The thick cut is fine as well, just use whatever keto-friendly bacon you love the most.
Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breast: What’s best for crock pot crack chicken?
Again, wanting to up the fat, this recipe uses boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
Tons of other crack chicken recipes use chicken breasts and while not as common, I’ve seen some that use chicken thighs.
This recipe uses chicken thighs because personally, I find it to be more fatty, flavorful, and taste better than chicken breast.
It really comes down though to personal preference. So I’m not going to say either way which one is best, that’s for you to decide.
There is so much fat from the bacon and cheese, if you want to go the chicken breast route, it will still turn out amazing.
Keto Crack Chicken Ranch Packet
For the crack chicken, I used a Hidden Valley ranch seasoning salad dressing mix. It was a 1 oz packet with a dry mix inside.
Hidden Valley also makes a ranch dip packet as well. Either one would work fine in this recipe.
I’ve never used any other brand, so I can’t say for certain how it would turn out with a different brand.
If you have a different brand you like that has similar ingredients, I’d imagine it would work as well. Just make sure it’s keto-friendly.
Keto Crack Chicken Crock Pot Recipe
Everyone will love this easy keto crock pot dinner!
It’s made with chicken thighs that are slow-cooked to tender shredded perfection, ranch, cheddar, bacon, cream cheese, cream and green onions.
Crock Pot Keto Crack Chicken (With Extra Bacon)
- 1-2 packages of bacon
- 10 chicken thighs
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 Ranch Seasoning salad Dressing mix packet (ranch dip mix packet is fine as well)
- Cook bacon on stovetop until crispy. Transfer bacon onto a plate and crumble. Set aside about ½ cup bacon for the topping.
- Place chicken along the bottom of the crock pot.Add the ranch mix, cream cheese and heavy cream on top of the chicken.(You can just put the blocks of cream cheese on top out of the package or cut up into big pieces, it doesn't matter.)
- Stir everything and coat the chicken with the heavy cream and seasoning. The cream cheese won't really stir together because it isn't melted yet.
- Cook on high for 2 hours in the crock pot.
- Add the bacon (except for the ½ cup bacon that is set aside) and 3 cups cheddar cheese (the rest of the cheddar cheese will be for the topping). Stir again.
- Then, set on low for 4-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken in the crock pot. You'll be able to easily shred it with two forks because it is so tender. After you shred the chicken, stir everything together.
- 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup shredded bacon and green onions. Serve after 15 minutes (or until the cheddar cheese is melted). For a more crusted cheese top, just cook a little bit longer.
- Serve and enjoy! Keep in mind this meal is very heavy and filling. You may want to opt for a small serving and go back for seconds if needed.
- Nutrition facts are using two packages of bacon. If you end up just using one package, the nutritional information will vary from this estimate.
- See more helpful information & tips right below this recipe.
What To Serve With Keto Crack Chicken Crockpot Recipe
Below are some amazing sides you can serve with your crack chicken and other ways to serve this dish.
- Over zoodles (zucchini noodles)
- In a sandwich using keto-friendly bread or rolls
- Over cauliflower rice
- With a side salad or side of keto-friendly vegetables
- Scoop it up with celery sticks or other keto veggies
- Use it as dip for pork rinds or keto-friendly cheese crisps
Can I freeze keto crack chicken?
You’ll be glad to know that this crack chicken is freezer-friendly, making it a great choice to meal prep ahead of time.
How to freeze crack chicken
Wait for it to cool down to room temp and then pour it into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers.
Don’t forget to label the freezer bags or containers with the date and contents.
The crack chicken is good frozen for about two to three months.
If you are planning on freezing leftovers or are making a big batch to freeze, I would recommend leaving out the chopped green onions.
Add them later on when you’re reheating the crack chicken.
Once the crack chicken is completely reheated, sprinkle with the green onions and serve.
You don’t necessarily have to do this, I just think it would taste a little fresher this way.
Serving keto crack chicken
When you want to eat your crack chicken, simply thaw and reheat it in either the microwave, oven, on the stovetop or slow cooker.
My preferred way of reheating is placing the contents in a casserole dish. Cook at 350° until warm.
Keep checking periodically and see if it is frozen or not so you don’t overcook it.
Crockpot Keto Crack Chicken Nutrition Facts
Just looking at the nutrition information, you can probably tell this keto crack chicken will keep you full.
You should be able to get about 5-6 servings out of this meal, depending on how big your portions are.
For my nutrition calculations though, I went with six servings. Each serving has a whopping 1094 calories and 88 grams of fat.
Good thing this is meant for a keto diet and not a low calorie diet lol.
If you’ve been intermittent fasting during the day, this is a great dinner to quickly get your calories and fat in.
How many carbs does crack chicken have?
Per serving, keto crack chicken has 6 grams of carbs and 5 net carbs.
Low Carb Crack Chicken Serving Size
One thing worth noting is you may want to start with a smaller serving and then just go back for seconds if you’re not satisfied.
When I first made this, my husband and I served just a regular looking portion that was fairly small.
It was so rich and creamy that it was actually hard to finish.
The next time we served about half of the portion from the previous time and it was perfect.
You definitely have to be hungry to enjoy this meal, it is one of the most filling keto meals I’ve ever tried.
Keto Crack Chicken Nutrition Facts Can Vary
The nutritional information listed for this recipe (just like all other recipes on my site) is always going to be a rough estimate.
Same can be said for most food blogs as well.
This recipe’s nutrition can vary a little based on these things:
- The nutrition calculation is using 2 packages of bacon. In my recipe directions, it calls for 1-2 packages of bacon. So if you only use one, the nutritional information will be a lot different.
- Speaking of bacon, most bacon packages are 12 oz, so that is what the nutrition values are based on. But, if you opt for thick-cut bacon, typically those packages are 16 oz each.
- Chicken thighs can vary in weight, so that’s something to think about as well.
The nutritional information on all food blogs is great to have and is a wonderful indicator of whether you would want to make the recipe or not.
That being said, I always recommend putting the recipe into whichever app you use (like My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager) as you make the dish.
Because as you can see getting some thick cut bacon instead of regular could really change everything.
Crack Chicken Is One Of The Best Keto Potluck Ideas
As I write this post in October 2020, not that many people are having potlucks right now.
But, keep in mind when life goes back to how it was before somewhere in the future, this is hands down the BEST dish to take to a potluck.
You’ll have people asking for this recipe whether they are on a keto diet or not.
Save this keto crack chicken recipe on Pinterest here.
This is a recipe you’ll want to make again and again.
Snap a pic of your keto crack chicken!
Take a picture of your low carb crack chicken and upload it to this Pinterest pin.
I’d love to see how it turned out and hear your thoughts about it!
More Keto Recipes:
- 13 Amazing Keto Chicken Recipes For Dinner
- 30 Best Low Carb Casseroles For Your Keto Diet
- 20 Yummy Keto Snack Ideas
Hope you enjoyed this
keto bacon cheddar ranch chicken!
About the Author
Annie Brown is a frugal living expert and the founder of Savvy Honey.
Her expert advice has also been featured in Yahoo Finance, BuzzFeed, GOBankingRates, Woman's Day, MSN, The Spruce Crafts, and more.